The Minerals Council of Australia has awarded four scholarships to women for studies to help them progress towards Company Board positions, in conjunction with member companies BHP Billiton and Downer Mining.
The scholarships, valued at $9,200 each, have been awarded to women working in the mining industry to enable them to complete the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) Company Directors’ Course during 2015. The scholarship program follows the success of previous programs, which have seen seven women complete the Company Directors’ Course in 2013 and 2014.
The scholarship winners are:
* Lynn Olssen, General Manager Geosciences – Snowden Group (sponsored by BHP Billiton)
* Maria Zappala, Manager – Business Improvement Australia and Canada, Anglo American Coal
* Mary-Anne Crawford, Group Manager Approvals – Centennial Coal Company
* Michelle Elvy, Manager Production Processing – BHP Billiton Mitsui Coal (sponsored by Downer Mining)
For more information click here
The Scholarships are an MCA initiative to encourage more female participation on mining company boards. The overwhelming popularity of the scholarships (there were 74 applications, up from 46 last year) demonstrates that there is a strong community of interest among talented women for Board positions, and a growing pool.
To further increase this pool of “board-ready” women, the MCA has this year decided to award High Commendations and assist another seven women to complete a board readiness e-learning module offered by the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
* Meryl Jones, St Barbara Limited
* Jo Barron-Perry, BHP Billiton
* Kristie Young, Diversity Network
* Shalini Cooray, Rio Tinto
* Adrianna Skok Muir, Iluka Resources
* Kirsty Liddicoat, BHP Billiton Mitsui Coal
* Gayle Bowness, AMEC
A key aim of this initiative is to increase the pool of “board-ready” women.