This week in South Africa women in mining are congregating at 3-day conference which started on Wednesday and finishes today. Razia Adam our profile of the month of February attended.
Nompumelelo ‘Mpumi’ Zikalala, Senior Vice-President at De Beers & Board Director spoke this week at the 6th Annual Women in Mining Conference in South Africa. Link to her presentation. Mpumi said in her presentation that education is key and that technical knowledge will gain you respect. She is featuring in an article in the South African press today. Read it here
Bongi Ntsoelengoe of Kumba Iron Ore, on the podium shared what motivated her to enter the mining industry.
Marietjie Lancaster, Senior Manager of Human Capital at Sibanye Gold discussed gender discrimination.
Futhi Zikalala, CEO of State Diamond Trader discussed measures to prevent insubordination in the workplace.
AngloGold’s Italia Boninelli, said that it is critical to have board & management support successful advancement of women
Noleen Pauls, Chair of WIMSA (Women in Mining South Africa) shared results from their survey
Conference topics for this year were:
- Building your career within the mining sector
- Getting women into critical executive positions – what does it take?
- Investing in the education of young women who are passionate about the mining industry
- Undergoing organisational transformation to accommodate women in mining at the top
- Employing more women for the benefit of the organisation and not just for increasing quotas
- Fighting the different levels of gender, race and disability discrimination
- Moving away from a mindset that regards women as bad luck or a hazard in mining
- Handling pregnancy in mining exploration
- WIMSA 2014 South African Survey
|Dr Patricia Makhesha
STATE DIAMOND TRADER
Executive Vice President: People & Organisational Development
WOMEN IN MINING SOUTH AFRICA
Director: DBS Consolidated Mines/ Senior Vice President
DE BEERS SIGHTHOLDERSALES
SOUTH AFRICA (DSSSA)
Senior Manager Human Capital
RIO TINTO MINING AND EXPLORATION
EXXARO RESOURCES LTD
| Natascha Viljoen
Group Head Processing
Quality Assurance Superintendent
DDG: Corporate Services
DEPARTMENT OF MINERAL RESOURCES
Lead Independent Director
VILLAGE MAIN REEF MINE
Rock Engineering Manager