Mechanical Engineer – Materials Handling Centre of Excellence
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world’s infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy, and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations.
Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
We are currently seeking a Mechanical Engineer to be based in our Fortitude Valley, Brisbane office to contribute to the design and/or documentation of rail mounted, or crawler mounted mobile machines for materials handling systems and mineral processing plants across the globe.
The position reports to the Principal Engineer – Rail Mounted machines and will be working inside the Bulk Materials Handling Centre of Excellence team in Brisbane supporting the entire Bechtel Mining and Metals business. As a part of this group, you will have the opportunity to learn from a highly experienced team whilst growing and developing your own career.
The mining and metals industry plays a crucial role in our society. Our industry is critical to electromobility, urbanisation, and food security through the supply of minerals and metals such as copper, lithium, rare earths, uranium, phosphates, iron, nickel and aluminium.
Come join us and enjoy working in a friendly, inclusive and professional work environment, where you will be genuinely thanked and appreciated for your contribution.
Key Responsibilities include (but are not limited to)
- Determine stockpile size shape and arrangements
- Define machines configurations
- Perform calculations and basic preliminary analyses
- Prepare and administer machine specifications and possibly be active as a package engineer for the supply of machines
- Participate in machine audits and analysis of designs
- Compile, verify, and correlate data relating to general mechanical engineering problems
- Using various computer programs, contribute to the design of other mechanical systems for materials handling and mineral processing plants
- Perform work using the Bechtel Standard Application Programs (BSAPs)
- Participate in the preparation of material requisitions, specifications, and other procurement related documents
- Assist in the evaluation of suppliers and technical bid evaluations
- Provide input and/or maintaining records for equipment and components
- Check manufacturer and supplier drawings and data for compliance with specifications and design requirements
- Assist in conceptual designs, studies reports and proposals
- Coordinate assigned work with other technical personnel as directed
- afety — Responsible for personal safety safe working practices for the Project Understand and follow Environmental, Safety and Health (ES&H) procedures and contribute to safety in design work processes
- Quality Assurance — Responsible for working within the provisions and guidelines of the Quality Assurance system relevant to the Project
What We Offer Employees
There are many reasons why choosing to join Bechtel is one of the best career decisions you will ever make:
- Work with a talented and dedicated team that is committed to teamwork, diversity and inclusion
- Excellent career growth opportunity and flexible work-life arrangements
- Competitive salary package and eligible for performance-based bonuses
- Bechtel is committed to offering you the benefits and resources to live healthy lives. Employee wellbeing is at the centre of our business promoted though private health cover and access to a leading employee assistance program.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or other relevant technical discipline from an accredited university
- Some technical exposure to the design, manufacture, construction or commissioning of large rail mounted materials handling machines
- Computer skills including competence in MS Office suite and other common software
- Flexibility and enthusiasm for individual and team tasks
- Analytical problem-solving capabilities
- Demonstrated skills in oral and written communication.
- Skills in coding in C#.
- Previous internship within an Engineering, Procurement and Construction Management (EPCM) company or experience on an operational mine site is desirable
- Experience with FEA software (Strand7, Ansys or equivalent) and solid modelling suites (Inventor, Solid Edge, SolidWorks)
Please note, current Right to Work in Australia without employer sponsorship is required for this role.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
In accordance with Bechtel’s duty to provide and maintain a safe workplace for our employees and to safeguard the health of our families, customers, and visitors, we have adopted mandatory COVID-19 safety protocols for each work location, which may include a vaccination or testing requirement. Please speak with your Bechtel recruiter to determine which protocols apply to the work location for the job you are seeking.
LINK to apply here