In the post-pandemic context of increased hybrid workplaces, combined with the digital and automation revolution and the ever-increasing ESG expectations from stakeholders, the mining sector must focus on attraction, retention and development of talent; health, safety and wellbeing efforts; innovation and new technologies; as well as inclusion and better work management practices.
Inclusive Workplace Design refers to the process of creating and developing a workplace infrastructure and culture that provides workers with safe and inclusive work environments that are conducive to improved performance and wellbeing.
About the project
The Inclusive Workplace Design project was designed by IWiM as a multi-stakeholder initiative that aims to provide the industry with guidelines and frameworks through which companies can ensure retention and inclusion of all its members. Through the project’s deliverables and actions, IWiM will lead change towards a more inclusive and sustainable mining industry globally.
The project identifies key themes across large-scale mining, and aims to collect relevant information about each theme from multiple locations. The project will identify innovative and practical practices to improve workplace design, as well as share these practices and solutions to ensure a focus on action-orientated outcomes for companies and organisations.
Inclusive Workplace Design project objectives:
- Provide further insights into the key themes of Inclusive Workplace Design
- Identify innovative and practical ideas to create more inclusive workplaces
- Share of useful resources and practical solutions at the service of the industry
- Contribute to the development of a framework, guidance material or toolkit to assist organisations to implement their own Inclusive Workplace Design
Key themes of Inclusive Workplace Design:
- Safety and personal protective equipment (PPE) procurement and supply chain
- Changing rooms, toilets
- Menstruation, menopause, pregnancy and lactation
- Mental health and wellbeing
- Shift design, fly-in-fly-out (FIFO), remote work
- Family leave, day care
- New technologies, digital transformation and automation