Process Engineer – Growth Program
Location: Portland, OR
Purpose of Role
In this role you will service as the lead collaborator and solutions driver for our process improvements. You will solve complex product and process performance problems by learning and developing better ways of doing things.
Why choose Weir
Be part of a global organization dedicated to building a better future: At Weir, the growing world depends on us. It depends on us constantly reinventing, quickly adapting and continually finding better, faster, more sustainable ways to access the resources it needs to thrive. And it depends on each of us doing the best work of our lives. It’s a big challenge – but it is exciting.
An opportunity to grow your own way: Everything moves fast in the dynamic world of Weir. This creates opportunities for us to take on new challenges, explore new areas, learn, progress and excel. Best of all, there is no set path that our people must take. Instead, everyone is given the support and freedom to tailor-make their own career and do the best work of their lives.
Feel empowered to be yourself and belong: Weir is a welcoming, inclusive place, where each individual’s contribution is recognized and all employees are encouraged to innovate, collaborate and be themselves. We continually focus on people and their wellbeing. We believe in fairness and choose to be honest, transparent and authentic in everything we do.
• Safety First: Demonstrate 100% commitment to our zero harm behaviors in support of our drive towards developing a world class safety Culture.
• Obtain complete understanding of company processes and their impact on the production line beginning with scrap melting through refining steel, liquid to solid transformation and finished products.
• Collect, analyze and present process data to improve process control and stability to drive down scrap rates, improve yield and lower cost.
• Plan and drive necessary activities to ensure that the process control effort is integrated into the daily standard work and accountability at the shop floor.
• Liaise with central functions, i.e. Manufacturing Support, Metallurgy & Process Engineering, in driving process control improvement activities
Job Knowledge/Education and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Manufacturing, Industrial, or Material Science Engineering required
• Any equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered for candidates that have the ability to perform the objectives above.
• Must have 3+ years of manufacturing, industrial, or material science engineering experience in a steel foundry environment
• Experience with driving process improvements into operations for improving safety, costs, implementing quality and process controls systems and/or equipment, along with good communication with various departments required.
• Experience with problem-solving tools.
This new role includes an opportunity to participate in our Engineering Rotation Program. This program is designed to provide advanced development across all aspects of engineering from concept to customer use, in mining and construction, by exposing you to diverse project experiences across manufacturing, products, and innovation and technology. Our organizational development team will be working to ensure you are exposed to some additional learning opportunities in your new role that may not have presented themselves during the normal course of work. After 2 years in your role, you’ll have the opportunity to see another area across the engineering function.
Click here to apply
Founded in 1871, Weir is a world leading engineering business with a purpose to make mining operations smarter, more efficient and sustainable. Thanks to Weir’s technology, our customers can produce essential metals and minerals using less energy, water and waste at lower cost. With the increasing need for metals and minerals for climate change solutions, Weir colleagues are playing their part in powering a low carbon future. We are a global family of 11,000 uniquely talented people in over 60 counties, inspiring each other to do the best work of our lives.
Weir is committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.