Australia Awards aim to promote knowledge, education links and enduring ties between Australia and its neighbours through Australia’s extensive scholarship programs.
The initiative aims to build a new generation of global leaders with strong links to Australia.
Australia Awards are the flagship of the Australian development cooperation program and are an important component of Australia’s investment in education. They offer long- and short-term study and professional development opportunities to citizens from developing countries around the globe. They aim to provide enhanced leadership, knowledge and technical skills to partner governments, tertiary institutions and strategic organisations that are driving sustainable development.
Scholarships have been an important component of the Australian Government’s efforts to reduce poverty and achieve sustainable development since the 1950s.
They aim to:
- develop capacity and leadership skills so that recipients can contribute to development in their home countries
- build people-to-people linkages at the individual, institutional and country levels.
In Africa, the Australian Government offers scholarships and fellowships under Australia Awards for African professionals to undertake long-term studies leading to a postgraduate degree and short-term training leading to the acquisition of new skills and knowledge. Long-term awards include Australia Awards Scholarships to undertake Masters-level studies in Australian universities. In addition, opportunities are also available for short-term training through the Australia Awards – Africa Fellowships for African nationals. On their return to the workplace, Australia Awards Alumni are expected to contribute actively to development in their home countries.
Award types include:
- Australian Awards Scholarships, to undertake higher degree studies in Australia at Masters level.
- Australia Awards – Africa Fellowships, to undertake short-term, targeted professional training courses, in Australia and/or in Africa, in a range of development-focused sectors.
This website provides all the information you will need to:
- inform yourself about the available Award types
- assess your eligibility
- learn about Australia’s world-class education and training institutions
- understand the Australian Government’s commitment to principles of gender equality in granting Awards
- understand the Australian Government’s commitment to principles of disability inclusion in granting Awards
- recognise the contributions that Australia Awards Alumni have made to development in their countries
- apply for an Award
Click on your country on this map to find out more