Make an impact at Canada’s premier mining company.
When you advance your career at New Gold, you are joining a Canadian-focused intermediate gold mining company engaged in the operation, development and exploration of mineral properties. Our mission is be a leading intermediate gold producer, driving responsible and profitable mining in a way that creates sustainable value for our employee, shareholders, the communities in which we live and work and our environment. To learn more about New Gold, visit our website at www.newgold.com. To learn more about our culture and people practices, visit the Career page.
New Gold attracts and hires highly skilled individuals. By joining our team, you can look forward to:
- A stimulating values-based work environment
- A culture of collaboration and inclusion
- Inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Career development opportunities
- A deeply rooted commitment to responsible mining, health and safety and community engagement
- A competitive total compensation program
- A comprehensive benefits package including a retirement savings plan
New Afton Mine
Situated 10 kilometers west of Kamloops, British Columbia, the New Afton Mine is an underground gold and copper producing site.
Kamloops is a city of 90,000 people, located 350 kilometers east of Vancouver. The area provides the opportunity to live and work in a vibrant community with its own university and within easy reach of world class ski resorts, championship golf courses, mountain biking trails, popular recreational lakes and award-winning vineyards.
About the Role
Schedule: 40 hours per week, flexible work schedules available
Position Reports To: Health and Safety Manager
The Industrial Hygienist is responsible for maintaining and managing New Afton’s Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene programs. These programs have been designed to anticipate, evaluate and control chemical, physical and biological hazards in the underground mine, the mill and throughout the surface site.
- Conduct exposure surveys and analyze monitoring data, as per New Afton’s Exposure Assessment Strategy
- Develop Industrial Hygiene Reports and recommend suitable corrective action/control to management
- Manage the site Hazardous Materials, Hazardous Materials Management Program and vendor SDS management process
- Participate in and support the sharing of safety related information, skills and best practices across the organization
- Develop and deliver Industrial Hygiene related training
- Lead the site Industrial Hygiene monitoring committeee
- Implement and manage the Industrial Hygiene Monitoring Database
- Coordinate & schedule all exposure-related medical surveillance programs
- Support the site on any occupational health or industrial hygiene related inquiries related to chemical, physical and biological hazards encountered at the New Afton site
- Manage and balance Occupational Health budget
- Evaluate current and emerging safety and IH related regulations and applicable standards, communicate impact and recommend risk based mitigation actions
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in a related field (such as BSc in Occupational and Public Health) or Technologist in related field
- Masters degree, specialized in Industrial Hygiene (preferred)
- Minimum 5 years Health & Safety/Industrial Hygiene related experience
- Working towards or certified as a CIH
- Experience in mining or other industrial related environment
- Knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety regulations
- Demonstrated knowledge in exposure monitoring methodology and control principles
- Proficient in use and calibration of exposure monitoring equipment
- Proficiency in computer software applications
- Experience demonstrating a high level of problem solving and decision making
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team
- Self-motivated, with a high level of planning, scheduling and organizational skills
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
Candidates will be required to participate in a comprehensive qualification process, including:
- Completion of pre-placement functional screen
- Provide proof of a valid Class 5 driver’s license
- Demonstrate eligibility to work in Canada
- Provide confirmation of valid educational requirements
A competitive salary, performance bonus plan and benefits will be provided. This is not a camp operation and therefore the successful candidate will be required to relocate to the Kamloops area or travel and accommodation will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
Applicants can submit their resume and cover letter until 11:59pm on August 29, 2023.
Inclusion, Equal Opportunity, Accessibility
New Gold is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans’ status, Indigenous status or any other legally protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the recruitment process are available upon request.