Location: Kings Mountain , NC – Lithium Site
About Albemarle Lithium
Albemarle is the industry leader in lithium and lithium derivatives. We maintain the strongest vertically integrated position in the industry, from our unique natural resource position to specialty product manufacturing. As stewards of the planet, we at Albemarle are committed to meeting the needs of our customers for high quality products in a sustainable, safe, and environmentally responsible manner.
- Competitive intelligence / monitoring of resource activity
- Develop and maintain a global resources database
- Assessment and analysis of new resource options and strategies
- Assessment of non-conventional resources & enabling technologies
- Support the development of robust processes to facilitate resource governance across our portfolio
- Influence the adoption of industry best practices across the business
- Monitor the performance of our existing operations and identify improvement initiatives
- Support leadership in the oversight and management of joint venture operations
- Collaborate within the Lithium business to ensure proper input across all fields to ensure the success of growth projects and operations
Albemarle is looking for an experienced environmental professional to join our Lithium Resources Group to manage current and future lithium resource projects.
The Environmental Coordinator will manage project, operational and corporate stakeholders with technical and sustainability expertise to ensure the success of Albemarle’s global lithium business. The primary responsibilities of the role will include project management activities to ensure lithium development projects align with industry best practice. This includes alignment with standards from the Initiative for Responsible Mining Assurance (IRMA), internal corporate environmental policy, and industry best practice. Given the pace of growth and investment, the Environmental Coordinator will operate with skill and flexibility across various technical support and project responsibilities.
This position is part of the lithium resources organization reporting to the Mine Environmental & Approvals Manager. The position is based at our Kings Mountain office located near Charlotte, North Carolina. Periodic travel within the USA and internationally may be required.
- Lead alignment with industry best practice standards for all new lithium development projects including, but not limited to:
- Initiative for Responsible Mining Assurance (IRMA)
- International Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM; general alignment)
- Dam Safety Governance (CDA, ANCOLD, GTMI, etc.)
- Technical Guidelines (INAP GARD, etc.)
- Lead the implementation of the IRMA ready standard for the Kings Mountain lithium project.
- Manage the documentation processes required to support IRMA auditing for business integrity, planning for positive legacies, social responsibility, and environmental responsibility.
- Project manage internal stakeholders responsible for delivering various documentation required per IRMA requirements.
- Manage the successful implementation of IRMA’s pilot program for the Kings Mountain project as we progress through the prefeasibility, feasibility, per-permitting, permitting, and construction processes.
- When required, support the execution of field work to gather site characterization information for threatened and endangered species, biological surveys, aquatic surveys, cultural resources, socio-economic assessments, and human rights and environmental justice assessments.
- Lead internal training and educational sessions to improve knowledge of industry standards throughout Albemarle’s Resource Development and Operations teams.
- When required, support the development of internal policy and standards related to environmental management, water stewardship and sustainability.
- Collaborate and provide subject matter expert knowledge within the larger lithium resources group to ensure mine development projects align with industry best practice for environmental management, water stewardship and sustainability. This includes design, construction, commissioning, and operational timeframes.
- Manage the preparation of budget estimates related to alignment with best practice standards.
- Provide subject matter expert support in the assessment of water stewardship and regulatory performance of our existing operations. Influence improvement initiatives to ensure best in class performance.
- Action oriented with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and be self-directed
- Ability to think critically and strategically
- Ability to distill complexity and assess technical risk
- Strong project and technical acumen
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Team player with the ability to proactively engage and collaborate.
- Ability to influence across different functions
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, community affairs, biology, engineering (environmental, water resources), hydrogeology, hydrology, or other appropriate focus area.
- 5-10+ years of experience in the mining industry.
- General knowledge of industry standards, guidelines, and good practice tools and ability to identify gaps, action plans, and schedules to obtain alignment.
- Experience with prefeasibility, feasibility and detailed design studies for mine development projects. Experience in some (or all) of the following would be considered an asset:
- Completion of threatened & endangered species assessments, cultural resource evaluations, biological surveys, etc.,
- Completion of socio-economic assessments, human rights evaluations, and environmental justice risk assessments,
- Community engagement for major development projects.
Click HERE to apply