Location:Kings Mountain , NC – Lithium Site
Company and Job Overview
Albemarle Corporation, headquartered in Charlotte, NC, is a leading global producer of lithium, bromine and catalyst solutions. As one of the world’s largest lithium chemicals producers, our products enable today’s rapid growth in lithium-ion batteries that power everything from pacemakers, to cell phones, to electric vehicles. Our unique lithium natural resource position, global derivatization capabilities and technology leadership allow Albemarle to execute an aggressive growth strategy. Join us to help develop the technologies and materials that will accelerate the electrification revolution!
The fast-growing Lithium R&D team located in Kings Mountain, NC is looking for an experienced hands-on metallurgist to join a diverse and passionate team developing new lithium-based products and technologies for Albemarle and its customers.
The “Senior Metallurgist” will play an essential role in the research and development of advanced lithium metal products for current and future generations of high energy density batteries. The position requires innovative and hands-on independent laboratory work, technical leadership and judgement, and strong problem-solving skills. If you are passionate about innovation, come join the world’s leading lithium materials research group.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Practice and model proper laboratory procedures in compliance with Corporate HS&E policies and maintain a safe lab environment
- Innovate to develop new high performance lithium metal products and new methods for purifying, shaping, and forming lithium metal
- Generate ideas for product and method development opportunities to enable project objectives
- Develop improved lithium ingots, foils, and laminates for R&D and customers at the gram to kilogram scale
- Characterize and optimize physical properties of lithium in different forms
- Create models that explain how composition affects mechanical properties and anode performance
- Collaborate with internal and external partners, including Process Development, operations, and vendors, to demonstrate manufacturability and scalability of new products or technologies
- Collaborate with a broad technical team and proactively share data to achieve optimal outcomes and meet timebound technical milestones
- Document experiments, observations, and results clearly in both written and electronic formats
- Communicate clearly and proactively in formal and informal settings
- A Ph.D. degree in metallurgy, materials science, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemistry, or related scientific discipline
- At least 5 years of hands-on experience in metallurgy, preferably in an industrial setting
- Strong background in metal processing (including melting, alloying, casting, and rolling) and materials evaluation (including characterization and mechanical testing).
- Able to troubleshoot and find innovative solutions to complex technical challenges
- Skilled in safely handling air-sensitive chemicals, especially in an industrial setting
- Experience with glovebox operation and working inside a dry room
- Work cross-functionally in the organization to meet expected deliverables and manage stakeholders
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills and able to distill complex concepts into clear messages for a wider audience in both formal and informal settings
- High attention to detail, accuracy, and precision
- Experience with roll-to-roll assembly or coating processes and/or equipment
- Understanding of statistical analysis and experimental design
- Knowledge in electrochemistry or battery-related chemistry, particularly related to lithium metal anodes, is an advantage
- Must be able to work in a chemical laboratory and a dry room environment, which requires standing for 50% or more of the time
- Must have dexterity to handle small, delicate components and lab equipment
- Must be able to physically operate lab-scale roll-to-roll equipment
- Must be able to lift and carry 30-35 pounds
Choose to unlock your full POTENTIAL. Apply today.
Click HERE to apply