Location:Kings Mountain , NC – Lithium Site
Company and Job Overview
Albemarle Corporation, headquartered in Charlotte, NC, is a leading global producer of lithium, bromine, and catalyst solutions. As one of the world’s largest lithium chemicals producers, our products enable today’s rapid growth in lithium-ion batteries that power everything from pacemakers, to cell phones, to electric vehicles. Our unique lithium natural resource position, global derivatization capabilities and technology leadership allow Albemarle to execute an aggressive growth strategy. Join us to help develop the technologies and materials that will accelerate the electrification revolution!
The “Lithium Metal Anode Manufacturing Scientist” position is a hands-on role within the fast-growing Lithium R&D team located in Kings Mountain, NC. The successful candidate will join a diverse and passionate team developing new lithium-based products and technologies for Albemarle and its customers.
The Lithium Metal Anode Manufacturing Scientist will spearhead development of advanced lithium metal anodes for current and future generations of high energy density batteries, targeting cost effective manufacturing and cell level performance/useful life. The position requires innovative and hands-on independent laboratory work and collaboration across groups, internally and externally. Success in the position will open career growth opportunities within and outside the R&D team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Design high performance lithium metal anodes by developing anode/foil processing techniques with the ultimate goal of scale-up and commercialization
- Practice proper laboratory procedures in compliance with Corporate HS&E policies and maintain a safe lab environment
- Collaborate with a broad technical team and proactively share data to achieve optimal outcomes and meet timebound technical milestones
- Generate lithium foils and laminates for R&D and customers at the gram to multi-kilogram scale
- Characterize physical properties of lithium in different forms
- Document experiments, observations, and results clearly in both written and electronic formats
- A Ph.D. degree in metallurgy, materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, or related scientific discipline
- 1-3 years of metallurgic experience, including all or some of the following techniques: extrusion, rolling, and lamination of metals
- At least 1 year of hands-on experience working with lithium metal
- Strong background in metal processing including melting, alloying, and various processes to shape metal products suitable for customer needs. Experience in rolling and casting is an advantage.
- Able to find innovative solutions to technical challenges
- Skilled in safely handling air-sensitive materials
- Experience with surface metrology and characterization
- Experience with glovebox operation and working inside a dry room
- Good understanding of metallography techniques
- Conversant in the metallurgical literature
- Knowledge of process automation is an advantage
- Work cross-functionally in the organization to meet expected deliverables and manage stakeholders
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills and able to distill complex concepts into clear messages for a wider audience in both formal and informal settings
- High attention to detail, accuracy, and precision
- Must be able to work in a chemical laboratory and a dry room environment, which requires standing for 50% or more of the time
- Must have dexterity to handle small, delicate components and lab equipment
- Must be able to physically operate lab-scale roll-to-roll equipment
- Must be able to lift and carry 30-35 pounds
Choose to unlock your full POTENTIAL. Apply today.
Click HERE to apply