POSITION TITLE: General Manager
LOCATION: Mount Milligan Mine (surrounding towns), British Columbia
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
As one of Centerra’s key senior leader in British Columbia, the GM’s alignment with Centerra’s vision and values is considered essential. The role is to provide leadership and management of the mine site and related activities. Specific focus is to deliver upon the strategic and operational objectives as outlined in the various business plans. This includes relevant operational and growth targets that maximize returns for stakeholders, manage site and location specific technical and social risks and ensure compliance with corporate safety, human resources, security and environmental, sustainability and governance policies. Develop and sustain a culture of quality leadership and employee involvement through Centerra’s four core values of winning as a team, delivering results, responsible mining, and continuous improvement. With other General Managers, Vice Presidents and executive leadership, contribute to Centerra’s strategy and participate as an active member of the team.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES:
- Develop and implement the Mine Site Strategic/Business Plans and align those plans with the overall Centerra strategy to ensure safe and sustainable mining, and long-term profitability and growth,
- Implement and champion a culture of safety and zero harm,
- Set safety, operational and reserve growth targets and incorporate them into operational budgets and strategic plans,
- Ensure tactical plans are developed in each operational area, aligned with the strategic intent of the business plan, and that these are reviewed regularly,
- Ensure timely, accurate and well communicated reporting of business performance,
- Implement business processes and management systems appropriate for the achievement of operating objectives in both the short and long term,
- Replace reserves and promote growth within the Region by delivering on mine exploration budgets,
- Develop a business improvement culture with a focus on safety, cost management, responsible mining, and continuous improvement,
- Ensure all approved contracts / projects are completed on time, within budget and within corporate guidelines,
- Build a strong senior management team and ensure that senior reports coordinate their activities with appropriate Centerra VPs and are in turn, leading the development of effective teams,
- Promote an organizational structure and culture that enables teamwork, collaboration, high performance and personal development,
- Champion talent management and leadership development for the mine site; Develop succession plans and ensure technical and leadership bench strength builds capability in the company,
- Ensure positive community relations is maintained within the communities surrounding the operational areas of the mine,
- Contribute to policy development and assume responsibility for their implementation within all operational areas,
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory, statutory, and permitting requirements,
- Identify opportunities for operational synergies with other mines/office locations,
- Manage and control contractor services,
- Oversee the management of all capital projects, operating budgets and resource requirements,
- Relevant Business and/or Technical Degree
- Career track of progressive, results-oriented, demonstrated and documented leadership accomplishments in increasingly complex operations roles
- Organizational skills and management capacity to lead existing operating team members, follow standard operating procedures, implement safety measures, hire frontline supervisors, fill senior management roles, implement employee development/training, and ensure that all aspects, processes and procedures are designed and maintained
- Possesses leadership acumen and skill sets to manage across different disciplines including cross-functional cooperation with safety, planning, refining, processing, finances, supply chain, human resources, community-based issues, environmental concerns, and more including collaboration with Head Office functional leads.
- Proven skills in planning, team building, execution, and risk management, with a management philosophy balancing employee safety & well-being with operational excellence and leadership influence in the community
- Able to passionately support and represent Centerra’s commitment to long-term sustainability
- Leadership acumen and skill to liaise with external organizations, entities, agencies, and contacts including but not limited to: media; community leaders; property owners in the area; regulatory authorities; monitoring agencies; advisors, contractors, consultants, suppliers.
- Proven effective interpersonal skills to interact with and lead people at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated preference for spending majority of work time in hands-on field experience as opposed to office administration, accomplishing production objectives through direct interaction with managers, employees, and equipment; track record of and role model for strong work ethic
- Financial and business acumen to manage the accuracy and soundness of the facility’s financial reporting and structure, and ensure the operation maintains and adheres to the company’s system of internal accounting controls and general corporate governance
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective system of communications throughout the site and with corporate to ensure that an appropriate level of information on the site’s activities are communicated
- Familiarity with, working knowledge of and adherence to regulatory requirements, law, conditions of the operational and environmental permits
Centerra Gold values the diversity of the people it hires and serves. Diversity at our company means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths.
Interested applicants may apply through Centerra Gold’s website at https://www.centerragold.com/careers
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.