Job Role: Metallurgical Technician
Location: Mount Milligan Mine, BC. Canada
Closes on May 20
Reporting to the Senior Metallurgist, the Metallurgical Technician is responsible for providing technical support to the metallurgy, assay lab, and mill operations teams via sampling, metallurgical bench tests, auxiliary equipment calibrations, and bench test reporting.
• Monitoring plant performance, identifying sources of variability, and making recommendations for improvement.
• Conducting investigations during upset conditions, performing test work, and assisting in technical projects to maintain performance or to identify opportunities to exceed targets.
• Maintaining quality control programs within the plant and onsite laboratories.
• Assisting mill operations in coaching and training to develop operator skillsets.
• Collection of process plant streams to support metallurgical performance evaluations (i.e. trials related to grinding media, reagents, and circuit/equipment modifications).
• Sample preparation and submission to assay lab (crushing, drying, splitting, screening, pressure filtering).
• Routine metallurgical lab test work (e.g. particle size analyses, bench flotation testing, settling tests).
• Mill circuit checks (pH probe calibration, thickener settling checks, reagent quality checks, Marcy scale calibrations).
• On Stream Analyzer system calibrations and troubleshooting in cooperation with other departments (mill maintenance, mill operations)
• Compiling results from laboratory test work into spreadsheet software (e.g. Microsoft Excel).
• Completing inventories of plant consumables (i.e. grinding media, flotation reagents).
• Work safely and in accordance with applicable legislation, company policy, standards, and procedures.
• Performs any other responsibilities related to the Metallurgical Technician role as required or as assigned by the department head.
Education & Experience
• Post-Secondary education in Mineral Processing, Metallurgical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or similar technical fields of study.
• 1-3 yrs. of experience in mineral processing with a mining operation or in a metallurgical laboratory.
• Experience with copper & gold flotation (preferable but not required).
• Possess a valid driver’s license and have access to personal transportation.
• Previous experience with SAP software (or similar) would be beneficial.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Demonstrates ability to work safely.
• Leadership and people skills.
• Computer skills, including Microsoft Office software.
• Effective communication, organizational and team-building skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team-based environment.
• Integrity, focus, and an excellent work ethic.
• Proven ability to analyze problems, prioritize issues, and develop timely and cost-effective solutions.
• Physically fit and able to lift 50lbs of weight as part of the daily routine.
• Details and results-oriented with the ability to multi-task and adhere to deadlines.
• Required to meet pre-employment testing requirements.
• The role is located at the Mount Milligan Mine, which is approximately 155 kilometers northwest of Prince George, British Columbia
• Bus transportation to and from the site is provided free of charge from several locations within the region. Employees accessing the site from outside the region are eligible to receive a tax-free travel allowance commensurate with the distance they are required to travel.
• The ideal candidate for the role will work a rotation of 14 days on 14 days off, 12-hour days.
• Candidates must be able to maintain a high level of performance for extended shifts.
• Mount Milligan promotes a drug and alcohol-free workplace and has adopted a zero-tolerance policy with respect to alcohol or unauthorized drugs on site.
Centerra Gold values the diversity of the people it hires and serves. Diversity at our company means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths.
Interested applicants may apply too through Centerra Gold’s website at https://www.centerragold.com/careers. We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.