Location: Newton, MS
Purpose of Role
- Support the local management team with metallurgical expertise, data analysis and problem-solving.
- Drive improvement projects for safety, quality, sustainability and cost.
- Train and coach operators of key metallurgical processes and ensure adherence to standard operating procedures.
- Work closely with process engineers to reduce variations in key input and output process variables (KIVs and KOVs) to improve quality performance.
The position is located at Weir ESCO’s foundry operation in Newton, MS, but belongs organizationally to the central Metallurgy & Process Engineering team and reports to the ESCO Division’s Chief Metallurgist in Portland, OR.
Why choose Weir
Be part of a global organization dedicated to building a better future: At Weir, the growing world depends on us. It depends on us constantly reinventing, quickly adapting and continually finding better, faster, more sustainable ways to access the resources it needs to thrive. And it depends on each of us doing the best work of our lives. It’s a big challenge – but it is exciting.
An opportunity to grow your own way: Everything moves fast in the dynamic world of Weir. This creates opportunities for us to take on new challenges, explore new areas, learn, progress and excel. Best of all, there is no set path that our people must take. Instead, everyone is given the support and freedom to tailor-make their own career and do the best work of their lives.
Feel empowered to be yourself and belong: Weir is a welcoming, inclusive place, where each individual’s contribution is recognized and all employees are encouraged to innovate, collaborate and be themselves. We continually focus on people and their wellbeing. We believe in fairness and choose to be honest, transparent and authentic in everything we do.
- Focus Area: Analyze performance of key metallurgical processes and deploy countermeasures when the processes deviate from expected performance.
- Focus Area: Ensure adherence to standard process procedures and safety standards.
- Focus Area: Train and coach operators on key metallurgical processes.
- Focus Area: Drive process improvement projects in collaboration with the central Metallurgy & Process Engineering team and onsite Manufacturing Managers and Technical Team.
- Safety First: Demonstrate 100% commitment to our zero harm behaviors in support of our drive towards developing a world class safety culture.
Job Knowledge/Education and Qualifications:
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered for candidates that have the ability to perform the objectives above.
- BS in Metallurgical Engineering, Materials Science, or equivalent.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a steelmaking or equivalent operation.
- Ability to work independently and achieve results by training and coaching others.
Click here to apply
Weir is committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.