Location:Kings Mountain , NC – Lithium Site
Albemarle Corporation, headquartered in Charlotte, NC, is a leading global producer of lithium, bromine, and catalyst solutions. As the world’s largest lithium producer, our products enable the rapid growth in lithium batteries that power everything from pacemakers to cell phones, to electric vehicles. Our unique lithium natural resource position, global derivatization capabilities and technology leadership allow Albemarle to execute an aggressive growth strategy for this business. Join us to help develop the technologies and materials that will accelerate this electrification revolution.
The “Cell Development Technician” position is a hands-on role within the fast-growing Lithium R&D team located in Kings Mountain, NC. The successful candidate will join a diverse and passionate team developing new lithium-based products and technologies for Albemarle and its customers.
The successful candidate will be closely working with the battery scientist/engineers in the design and fabrication of lithium and lithium-ion batteries in different footprints. Daily lab activities include, but not limited to, cell assembly and support of manual and semi-automated equipment, execute design of experiments. This position will work closely in multi-functional teams including anode and cathode materials development, cell engineering etc. Success in the position will open career growth opportunities within and outside the R&D team.
• Practice proper laboratory procedures in compliance with Corporate HS&E policies and maintain a safe lab environment
• Collaborate with a broad technical team to meet timebound technical milestones and deliverables
• Document experiments, observations and results clearly in both written and electronic formats
• Fabricate lithium-ion and lithium metal batteries in coin, single layer and multi-layer pouch cell formats
• Test batteries to understand the electrochemical performance of different materials under investigation
• Proactively share data and collaborate to achieve optimal outcomes
• Communicate clearly and proactively in formal and informal settings
• Adhere to established quality standards, SOPs and process control plans
• Associate degree or at least 2 years of postsecondary education in chemistry, engineering, or a related scientific discipline
• At least one year of experience in a laboratory setting handling chemicals and equipment
• Experience with coin cell or single layer pouch cell assembly processes
• Experience with glovebox operation and battery testing equipment
• Strong commitment to safety
• Good interpersonal skills and takes on new opportunities with enthusiasm
• Able to prioritize and manage time effectively, even with shifting business needs
• Communicates effectively by providing timely information on projects and testing
• Basic computer skills, especially with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
• Strong organizational skills and ability to maintain records/documents such as lab notebooks and/or instrument logs
• Detailed oriented with strong analytical skills
• Must be able to work independently and as part of a team
• Must have good dexterity & maintain focus on tasks
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a scientific or engineering discipline is preferred
• Experience with data collection and entry into software programs such as Excel or other data processing software
• Working knowledge of pilot pouch cell assembly and electrode fabrication equipment is highly desired
• Electrode slurry mixing experience with both aqueous and non-aqueous systems
• Hands-on experience with bench top crimping machines, vacuum, and heat sealers
• Knowledge of ultrasonic welding, die punching, and electrolyte filling
• High aptitude in learning technical skills quickly, especially automated and semi-automated machines for pouch cell fabrication
• Able to set up and optimize testing methodologies and analyze large amounts of data using statistical concepts and tools
• Able to work in a dry-room environment for extended hours
• Able to lift and carry up to 40 lbs.
• Must have dexterity to handle small, delicate battery components and lab equipment
• Must be able to physically operate pilot-scale equipment
Choose to unlock your full POTENTIAL. Apply today.
Click HERE to apply