Location:Kings Mountain , NC – Lithium Site
Company and Job Overview
Albemarle Corporation, headquartered in Charlotte, NC, is a leading global producer of lithium, bromine, and catalyst solutions. As the world’s largest lithium producer, our products enable the rapid growth in lithium batteries that power everything from pacemakers to cell phones, to electric vehicles. Our unique lithium natural resource position, global derivatization capabilities and technology leadership allow Albemarle to execute an aggressive growth strategy for this business. Join us to help develop the technologies and materials that will accelerate this electrification revolution.
The “Advance Lithium Battery Research Engineer/Scientist” position is a hands-on role within the fast-growing Lithium R&D team located in Kings Mountain, NC. The successful candidate will join a diverse and passionate team developing new lithium-based products and technologies for Albemarle and its customers. Your primary responsibility will be to develop new lithium-containing materials that accelerate the evolution of lithium-ion battery technology.
Materials will include state-of-the-art anodes, cathodes, and liquid and solid electrolytes. The successful candidate will have demonstrated firsthand knowledge and experience in electrochemical characterization of battery materials and their interfaces. You will be expected to apply fundamental electrochemistry to develop new insight into materials performance in batteries, understand/control the evolution of critical interfaces and create new materials with differentiated performance. The ability to collaborate and communicate across multiple groups and projects, internal and external to Albemarle, is required. The position requires hands-on work in a chemistry laboratory and in a dry room environment, and potentially guiding technicians and/or interns.
• Practice proper laboratory procedures in compliance with Corporate HS&E policy and maintain a safe lab environment
• Design, propose and conduct electrochemical experiments to generate new insight/understanding of advanced battery materials
• High proficiency in coin and pouch cell assembly and testing
• Help interpret cell-level performance data in terms of fundamental electrochemical processes
• Guide material and cell optimization by elucidating the contributions of in-cell electrochemical processes and interfaces to cell performance
• Apply statistical and DOE principles to develop new formulations and coatings based on novel materials
• Maintain detailed written and electronic records of experiments and performance observations
• Assemble prototype coin, single-layer and multi-layer pouch cells and perform electrical/electrochemical measurements
• Conduct post-mortem analysis and investigate potential cell failure mechanisms
• Build a solid understanding of material structure-Electrochemical response relationship
• Work closely with analytical team members and to understand electrochemical aspects of different material chemistries
• Prepare weekly reports and take the initiative to discuss results with the manager and the team
• Mentor junior team members, technicians, and interns
• PhD in electrochemistry, materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, or related scientific discipline
• A minimum of 4 years of experience doing hands-on electrochemical experiments and analysis
• Strong technical expertise in theoretical and applied electrochemistry with focus on Li-ion and Li-metal batteries
• Familiar with both bench top and roll to roll coating and calendering tools
• Demonstrated ability to collect and interpret electrochemical data and relate the data back to underlying materials-related properties/processes (diffusion, charge transfer, etc.).
• Deep working knowledge and fundamental understanding of electrochemical characterization techniques (Cyclic voltammetry, Impedance spectroscopy, 3-electrode cells, Galvanostatic Intermittent Titration, etc.)
• Experience in solid electrolyte development and testing would be beneficial
• Strong organizational and project management skills
• Able to prioritize and manage time effectively
• Strong problem-solving skills and critical thinking
• High attention to detail, accuracy and precision in experimental design and analysis of results
• Experience in working with customers and OEMs
• Understanding of statistical analysis and experimental design
• Strong data analysis skills
• Electrochemical modeling experience (equivalent circuit, pseudo-2D, etc.)
• Excellent communication skills and ability to simplify complexity
• Experience in working with OEM’s and customers would be beneficial
• Must be able to work in a chemical laboratory and dry room, which requires standing for 50% or more of the time
• Must be able to physically operate lab testing equipment
• Must be able to lift and carry at least 15-20 pounds
• Occasional travel to customers or partners may be necessary
Choose to unlock your full POTENTIAL. Apply today.
Click HERE to apply