Job Position: Mechanical Engineering Lead
Location: Clear Lake Office TX USA
Are you inspired by “what’s next”? So are we.
When you join the Albemarle team, you contribute to a better tomorrow. You will play a role in powering many of the world’s largest and most critical industries, from energy and communications to transportation and electronics. We are putting innovation to work to improve people’s lives and we want YOU to be a part of it.
The Mechanical Engineering Lead is a senior appointment to provide technical support for capital projects to ensure safety, operational and technical integrity in all process aspects of the chemical process used to make lithium products from the engineering phase through to plant construction and commissioning. The Lead will manage internal and external Stakeholders to fulfil the role.
The Mechanical Engineering lead will work alongside peers within a diverse Engineering team and will report to the Engineering Manager.
This role is critical to the success of the project as the position holder is responsible for guiding the engineering contractors and procurement choices in conjunction with the Engineering and Procurement Construction Contractor (EPCI) and is a key member within the overall project delivery team.
The role location is initially in Houston, TX but will be expected to support project execution long-term in our new Richberg Megaflex Project in Chester, SC.
Candidates currently located in Houston, Texas will be required to relocate to the Charlotte, NC area when the project reaches Construction phase, likely Q3-2024 but exact date subject to change. For candidates who are not currently located in Houston or Charlotte we will offer relocation to the Charlotte, NC upon hire.
- Review/develop mechanical design standards and specifications and enhance the existing standards to improve efficiency and quality.
- Technical involvement with process equipment (pumps, pressure vessels, tanks, heat exchangers, etc.) used in the chemical processing industry.
- Supervise the mechanical design activities conducted by the engineering contractor.
- Ensure compliance with applicable codes, standards, and best practices for process plant design.
- Support the project as Mechanical Lead during all phases of a capital project – scope development, detailed design, construction, and commissioning.
- Cooperation and coordinating the activities with other engineering disciplines (process, civil, electrical, and instrumentation) to provide solutions to project risks and concerns as they arise.
- Ensure proper mechanical design for static and rotating equipment and code compliance by reviewing design documentation put forth by contractors.
- Contribute to reviewing for correctness, completeness and accuracy, the engineering contractor’s mechanical design including:
- Piping Specialty Items List
- Line List
- Tie-In List
- Identify opportunities for improvement and develop solutions that improve the safety, efficiency, quality, operability, maintainability, and speed of the design process.
- Develop QA/QC requirements for piping and equipment for each project
- Participate in Shop Floor visits to inspect equipment manufacture and report on quality and progress in conjunction with Supplier Quality Surveillance personnel. Resolve technical issues with equipment suppliers when requested.
- In association with mechanical related issues, advise and assist the Albemarle plant start-up leader to:
- Plan/schedule the commissioning and start-up
- Develop the commissioning procedures of the systems and equipment
- Develop the start-up, operating, and shut down procedures
- Document that the equipment performs to the design and/or vendor performance guarantees
- Identify project deficiencies for Project team correction, participating in de-bottlenecking studies for future train definition, construction, and commissioning.
- Must be able to travel up to 25% of the time to engineering contractor offices and visit suppliers as needed to support project activities.
- Zero injuries and incidents on assigned projects.
- Design packages comply with applicable codes, standards, and best practices for process plant design.
- Design activities are completed in accordance with the project schedule and budget.
- Continuous improvement in procedures, tools, standards, and team performance.
- Accurate and timely reporting to Engineering Manager
- Continuous endeavor to exhibit Albemarle Core Values – Care, Curiosity, Humility, Courage, Transparency, and Collaboration
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited institution of higher learning
- 12+ years of Mechanical Engineering in chemical or petrochemical processing plants
- Significant demonstrated experience performing process design on projects with TIC budgets more than $100 million USD.
- Strong teamwork and leadership skills.
- Proven examples of developing innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Experience and knowledge with equipment (pumps, pressure vessels, tanks, heat exchangers, mixers, conveyors, dryers) used in the chemical processing industry
- Equipment specifications, area layout, piping design, valve selection, and generation of mechanical engineering RFQ packages for 3rd party engineering
- Construction and/or Commissioning experience, including Mechanical QA/QC
Choose to unlock your full POTENTIAL. Apply today here