Job Position: Manager Environment Compliance
Location: Kings Mountain , NC – Lithium Site
Are you inspired by “what’s next”? So are we.
When you join the Albemarle team, you contribute to a better tomorrow. You will play a role in powering many of the world’s largest and most critical industries, from energy and communications to transportation and electronics. We are putting innovation to work to improve people’s lives and we want YOU to be a part of it.
Albemarle is looking for an experienced environmental professional to join our Lithium Resources Group to manage current and future lithium resource projects.
The Manager Environmental Compliance will manage project, operational and corporate stakeholders with environmental compliance expertise to ensure the success of Albemarle’s global lithium business. The primary responsibilities of the role will be to ensure thorough environmental monitoring, compliance, and management plans are in place for the Kings Mountain Lithium Project. Initially, the role will manage all environmental monitoring and compliance aspects of the project (exploration, early construction, commissioning, etc.) but responsibilities will continue to include the full operational mine site.
This position is part of the lithium resources organization reporting to the Sr. Manager Environment & Approvals. The position will first report to the environmental studies team and will support the environmental base line characterization, environmental impacts assessments, and will lead environmental compliance activities related to early construction activities (drilling, road construction, clearing, reclamation material salvage, etc.). The role will transition to the mine operations team once permitting is approved and construction and commissioning begins where responsibilities will include full environmental compliance management of the site. The position is based at our Kings Mountain office located near Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Provide subject matter expert support regarding environmental governance for the Kings Mountain Project.
- Direct consultants in the quarterly water quality monitoring program of surface and ground water sources on the property. Ensure monitoring program aligns with industry best practice in terms of quality control/quality assurance, laboratory analysis, regulatory expectations, and the Initiative for Responsible Mining Assurance (IRMA).
- Develop and direct all environmental management systems and procedures for the project and eventual Mine operation.
- Lead the environmental inspections and audits that may be required to provide thorough review of site activities including drilling campaigns, early construction works, tree clearing activities, road construction, and other small scale construction activities.
- Lead the reporting, investigations, and follow-up mitigation planning efforts for any potential environmental non-compliance issues that may occur on site.
- Implement Albemarle Corporate HSE Environmental standard, initiatives, and programs for the mine project.
- Lead the software evaluation and implementation of a site wide environmental monitoring database (MonitorPro, EnviroSys, etc.) package. Direct work to maintain a thorough and accurate environmental database.
- Grow the environmental team (3-5 people) required to support environmental management of the early construction activities, construction and commissioning, and full mining operation.
- Develop environmental key performance indicators (KPIs) for the project and maintain alignment in terms of compliance to target.
- Support the General Managers (mine site and processing plant) to ensure the environmental management of the project aligns with Albemarle’s standard of care as well as full alignment with all regulatory and IRMA standards.
- Manage the preparation of budget estimates related to environmental monitoring and analysis programs.
- Direct the environmental components for pit dewatering processes to ensure there are no negative impacts to receiving water bodies.
- Oversee the operations of the site water treatment plants for initial pit dewatering as well as longer-term mine water treatment activities.
- Lead the development of internal policy and standards related to environmental monitoring and compliance.
- Action oriented with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and be self-directed.
- Ability to think critically and strategically.
- Ability to distill complexity and assess technical risk.
- Strong project and technical acumen
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Team player with the ability to proactively engage and collaborate.
- Ability to influence across different functions.
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum: bachelor’s degree in an appropriate environmental profession (environmental engineering, environmental sciences, water resources, hydrology, geochemistry, etc.).
- 10 to 15+ years of experience in managing environmental monitoring and compliance for medium to large scale mining operations.
- Experience in a mining environment is required.
Choose to unlock your full POTENTIAL. Apply today here