Job Position: Area Project Manager Pryomet
Location: Clear Lake Office TX USA
Are you inspired by “what’s next”? So are we.
When you join the Albemarle team, you contribute to a better tomorrow. You will play a role in powering many of the world’s largest and most critical industries, from energy and communications to transportation and electronics. We are putting innovation to work to improve people’s lives and we want YOU to be a part of it.
Albemarle is evaluating the Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) and Start-up of new lithium conversion plants in the US that has the potential to play a key part in the expansion of the North American and Global supply chain for Electric Vehicles’ (EV).
The Area Project Manager (PM) role for the Pyromet process areas is responsible for leading all aspects of Front-End Engineering Designing (FEED) and Detailed EPC Define Phase through commissioning, startup, and ramp up for the new Richburg MegaFlex site. This role will be accountable for leading the efficient duplication of the Meishan design with a focus on optimization of duplication and design for a plant that meets applicable US requirements and license-to-operate (LTO) guidelines in North America. The leader in this role is required to have knowledge of US codes and standards which includes setting up compliance systems for new build sites, revamp sites, and/or upgrading existing plant processes and systems to improve compliance tracking and plant reliability jointly with the Director, Engineering. The individual’s knowledge and/or interpretation of US codes and standards should position her / him to make quality decisions concerning design requirements for fabricating equipment in China that is suitable for safe and successful operations in North America. This role will be accountable for assuring that all design requirements for the Richburg MegaFlex Site optimizes a good balance between design requirements and business value for new plants in the US.
This role shall serve as a senior interface with the external contractor organizations, internal operations team, Albemarle commercial team, and overall project execution teams beginning in the Define Phase through detailed EPC, commissioning and startup, and ultimate plant ramp up through the technology performance test for this area.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Ensure adherence to Albemarle safety standards throughout Project development and execution.
- Leadership role in developing and conveying the unique safety culture for the project, with appropriate systems developed and deployed, to the owners, contractors and vendors with the goal of zero harm (or other similar protocols).
- Lead the Albemarle development, execution, and mechanical completion of the Pyromet process area for the Richburg MegaFlex Plant Site
- Development and implementation of the Project Execution Strategy for the Pyromet scope.
- Resource planning, baselining, and tracking of project performance with a focus on making necessary adjustments necessary to deliver milestones commitments.
- Act as the key project management interface for Pyromet area across internal Albemarle teams, 3rd party contractors, and project team.
- Define and develop the engineering and commissioning and startup plan / resource requirements through the full life cycle of the project. Jointly appointing and defining the key roles for successful project execution.
- Support development of the integrated Project schedule as it relates to primary areas of responsibilities.
- Ensure that Corporate Project Management Principles, Technical Policies and Standards, relevant directives and lessons learned from previous projects are being considered in the design.
- Accountable for safety, scope, quality, costs, and schedule results relative to approved commitments.
- Ensure that project governance is maintained in accordance with Albemarle Corporation requirements for accounting, purchasing, CAPEX forecasting, cost center forecasting, etc.
- Ensure that necessary resources are available to accomplish timely completion of Milestones.
- Ensure the security and confidentiality of Albemarle technology materials.
- Report on status of project through written, oral and presentations methods, as required.
- Assess and approve / reject scope change requests in accordance with the delegation of authority.
- Review and advise on purchasing bid tabs and actively participate in the selection process of all purchase orders and contracts in accordance with the delegation of authority.
- Assist with ensuring appropriate Value Engineering, Constructability, and Risk Reviews are performed and support maintaining the Risks and Opportunities Register
- Assure the close out of all HAZOP comments prior to commissioning and startup activities for applicable area of responsibilities.
- Assist in assuring that all field construction documentation is complete, accurate, and meets Plant compliance requirements prior to startup.
- Assist in ensuring that any Project deficiencies identified by Plant during commissioning and start-up are corrected or included on a post startup list with the right level of priority defined.
- Assist in leading preparation of the Project Close Out Report, including Lessons Learned
- Coordinate resource requirements and project execution with other project activities to ensure key stakeholder expectations are aligned.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and develop solutions that improve the efficiency, quality, schedule, and/or reduces TIC for the project.
- All other reasonable duties as determined by the employer.
Work Experience Requirements
- Previous experience of engineering, procurement, and construction for major projects within North America and/or China
- Strong organization skills, the capacity to successfully manage competing priorities, maintain attention to detail and meet deadlines
- Strong English communication skills, both oral and written
- Capacity to work independently with minimal direction and collaboratively in a team environment
- Previous contracts experience for major projects
- Ability to travel in alignment with Domestic and International project commitments.
Education / Qualification Requirements
- BS, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering, preferred.
- 15+ years of experience in relevant industries.
- International experience preferred.
The role location is initially in Houston, TX but will be expected to support project execution long-term in our new Richberg Megaflex Project in Chester, SC.
Candidates currently located in Houston, Texas will be required to relocate to the Charlotte, NC area when the project reaches Construction phase, likely Q3-2024 but exact date subject to change. For candidates who are not currently located in Houston or Charlotte we will offer relocation to the Charlotte, NC are upon hire.
Choose to unlock your full POTENTIAL. Apply today here