Mine Production Manager
The Veladero mine is a large-scale open pit gold and silver mine, located in Argentina, in the heart of the Andes at elevations of 4,000 to 4,850 meters above sea level, approximately 374 kilometers northwest of the city of San Juan. Veladero is a 50/50 joint venture operation between Barrick Gold Corporation and Shandong Gold.
As part of Barrick we are One Team with One Mission: to be the world’s most valued gold mining business by finding, developing, and owning the best assets, with the best people, to deliver sustainable returns for our owners and partner.
We aim to cultivate a high-performance culture defined by the following principles: a deep commitment to partnership, consistent execution, operational excellence, disciplined capital allocation, and continual self-improvement.
We are obsessed with talent and seek out fresh perspectives, challenging ourselves to think differently as we contribute to transform Barrick into a leading 21st century company.
Our Mining Production team currently has an opportunity for a Mine Production Manager to join our Veladero Mine.
As the leader of the Mine Production team, the successful candidate will report to the Operations Manager and will lead the Drill and Blast, Load and Haul, Mine Services, and Mine Training teams. There will also be significant interaction with Technical Services, Processing, and Maintenance, as well as with the Deputy General Manager.
This role will require an incumbent who has extensive operational experience in open pit operations. An understanding of fleet maintenance, and exposure to technical services, would be advantageous. The successful candidate will be expected to be out in the pit, getting their hands dirty, challenging the status quo, identifying opportunities for improvement, and building a united team that is focused on Veladero’s vision and mission, all while ensuring that all employees go home safely at the end of the day.
The incumbent will have the following primary objectives:
- Taking an active safety leadership position in the field, inspecting work areas frequently, and driving a zero-harm focus among the team.
- Developing the practical, technical, and leadership capabilities of the mine production team.
- Managing production to ensure we ‘do it right the first time’, maximising efficient operation of equipment, ensuring we are using the right tools for the job, and identifying risks and mitigating them before there is a problem.
- Directing safe and efficient mining activities, looking for opportunities to increase productivity and reduce costs on a regular basis.
- Participating in short- and long-range scheduling and budgeting, monitoring compliance, and implementing actions to realign to these schedules and the budget where deviation has occurred.
- Candidates must speak Spanish, and English language experience would be advantageous.
- Minimum 10-years in Open Pit metal operations, with at least 5-years recent experience in a Superintendent or Manager role.
- Previous experience managing Maintenance or Technical Services teams would be advantageous.
- Tertiary qualification as a Mining Engineer or Geologist would be advantageous.
- Exposure to Fleet Management systems, particularly Leica Jigsaw, would be advantageous.
- Demonstrated experience in leading cultural change in an operational setting.
- Demonstrated experience in identifying business improvement opportunities and developing programs to implement beneficial changes.
- Experience with six-sigma methodologies would be advantageous.
- Experience working at high altitude would be advantageous.
- Strong planning, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and communications skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment with geology, mine engineering, and production personnel.
- Organized, motivated self-starter with high standards expected of themselves and others.
- Ability to work in a dynamic fast-paced mine production environment.
Candidates who are interested in joining our dynamic team should submit to Barrick a resume and cover letter which specifically addresses how your experience aligns to the required ´Qualifications´.
Candidates can send their CVs: email@example.com
Barrick Gold Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value workplace diversity. Please visit our website at www.barrick.com to see the exciting projects we are currently working on.
Position: Mine Production Manager
Primary Location: Veladero, Argentina
Reports to: Operations Manager