- Reports directly to the Centerra VP, Security, Sustainability & Environment based in Toronto.
- In accordance with Site and Centerra protocols and policies, oversee the management of environmental and sustainability (including indigenous relations) activities across British Columbia.
- Directly manages and supports the Regional Sustainability and Regional Environmental Managers.
- Collaborates closely with the Site General Managers of Mount Milligan & Endako, and the Project Manager of Kemess Underground to help sites achieve and maintain best ESG practices and maintain proactive regulatory compliance.
- Oversees the full implementation, and subsequent compliance with, all Centerra adopted ESG related performance standards and disclosure frameworks.
- In alignment with Centerra policies, supports the continued development of British Columbia’s overall organizational knowledge in relation to environmental, social and governance (ESG) risk management.
- Within the framework of the organization’s strategic objectives and plans, work with the environment and sustainability teams to establish short and long term objectives and plans.
- Support British Columbia’s General and Project Managers to meet company ESG commitments and comply with local, provincial, and federal environmental and social (including indigenous consultant and engagement) regulatory obligations, social commitments, and relevant international standards and corporate policies.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams including but not limited to Health & Safety, Supply Chain and Human Resources to lead all ESG standards and best practices for the environmental and sustainability functions.
- Guide the process for establishing and managing ESG targets for all sites, measuring performance against targets, and the design and implementation of corrective actions to address variances.
- Provide direct technical advice and guidance to site environmental and sustainability personnel as required.
- Coach, mentor and transfer ESG skills and knowledge to environmental and sustainability department specialists and other departments as needed.
- Participate in site budget reviews in collaboration with the Regional Environment and Sustainability Managers to ensure adequate resources are allocated to environmental and sustainability risk management and key company strategies/priorities.
- Continuously update ESG expertise – including knowledge of international trends, developments and new technologies – to ensure that the company benefits from best ESG practices and solutions.
- Focus on strengthening collaboration with all B.C. operational functions to ensure an integrated and consistent company approach to ESG performance management.
- Lead, organize and attend internal meetings and training as required to contribute to Centerra’s overall organizational knowledge of ESG best practices.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned by the Centerra VP, Security, Sustainability & Environment with integrity, competenceand with a sense of urgency.
- Leadership and management competencies: to lead the environmental and sustainability function within B.C. towards the desired objectives, standards and outcomes.
- Results orientated: to ensure that there is correct prioritization and focus on ESG challenges within the organization; to establish accountability for achieving targets and results.
- Emphasis on service and support: to encourage and maintain a service mindset and ethic amongst company environmental and sustainability personnel; to develop co-operative relationships and provide the quality of support required by the organization.
- Teamwork: to promote teamwork and mutual support within and across the environmental and sustainability functions; to partner effectively with internal stakeholders (site management/other related disciplines) to achieve results.
- International ESG performance standards, continuous improvement and innovation: to maintain emphasis on meeting required standards and targets; seeking continuous improvement and innovation in environmental systems and processes and developing best practices.
- Decision making and problem solving: to be able to take effective and timely decisions and create workable solutions to address difficulties and obstacles faced by the environmental function.
- Cultural sensitivity: to communicate and deal appropriately with employees in the broader Centerra organisation (and indigenous and local communities as required) to drive environmental and social performance improvement.
- Communications and interpersonal skills: to be able to build cooperative relationships and to engage and influence B.C. General and Project Managers and employees at all levels to adhere to ESG programmes.
- Expertise and knowledge: needs to be able to bring a high level of ESG knowledge and expertise in order to design and develop ESG best practices and solutions in a continuously changing environment. This includes familiarity with British Columbia’s and Federal legislation, Key International ESG Standards and best practices.
- Role model for behavioural-based safety, people first, and other value based programs.
- Demonstrated planning, organizing, meeting facilitation and event coordination skills.
- High degree of initiative, self-motivation, accountability, and independent judgment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including active listening, and public speaking.
- Current drivers’ license.
- Degree in Science, Engineering or related field.
- Masters level qualification in technical discipline or MBA preferred.
- A minimum of 10+ years’ environmental and social management experience in mining or a related industry, at least 5 years of which should have been in significant ESG management positions.
- Experience in the mining industry, significant knowledge and experience in implementing ESG international performance standards and reporting frameworks in the mining sector including:
– ICMM Sustainability Framework and Principles
– IFC Environmental and Social Performance Standards
– World Gold Council – Responsible Gold Mining Principles (RGMPs)
– UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
– Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB)
– Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD)
- Ability to regularly travel to local and indigenous B.C. communities, regulators, B.C. project/sites and the Centerra Gold Toronto office.
- Required to work flexible work hours/days.
Centerra Gold values the diversity of the people it hires and serves. Diversity at our company means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths.
Interested applicants may apply through Centerra Gold’s website at https://www.centerragold.com/careers
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.