Location: Jabiru, Northern Territory
About the Project
Are you looking to make your mark with a world class, high-impact project?
Keen to join an experienced and highly respected team?
Want to contribute to significant environmental and cultural heritage values?
Then the Energy Resources of Australia (ERA) Ranger rehabilitation project is what you’re looking for!
After more than 35 years operating as a successful uranium mine, the Ranger Project is entering its rehabilitation stage and offers an exciting opportunity for you to make a positive impact on the environment.
ERA has engaged the global engineering firm, Bechtel, to support ERA as Delivery Partner for ongoing study work.
Bechtel will be working alongside ERA and major stakeholder Rio Tinto to restore the land to the status of its surrounding World Heritage listed Kakadu National Park. A collaborative project, this project will be developed in consultation with the Mirarr Traditional Owners and will benefit the Jabiru community.
Located 8 km east of Jabiru and 260 km south-east of Darwin, the Ranger Project will lead the way in the fast-growing area of mining closures.
This is your opportunity to join an established team, develop as a professional, and work in partnership with our client – contributing to a long-term commitment to people, communities and the environment.
Please note a formal offer to the successful candidate of this site-based FIFO (fly in fly out) position will be contingent upon passing a stringent medical examination.
Interested to learn more? Visit: Energy Resources of Australia Ltd (www.riotinto.com); Energy Resources of Australia (www.energyres.com.au)
About the Role
Based working out of Jabiru (working a 2 week on 1 week off roster), under minimal supervision, our project Occupational Hygienist will be responsible for implementing and administering project industrial hygiene programs affecting employee, public safety and occupational health.
You are a key asset to the project line management – administering a proactive prevention program for occupational accidents and illnesses.
This role will require you to perform moderately complex technical work in a wide range of industrial hygiene disciplines to achieve compliance with ES&H standards along with federal and state regulatory requirements.
This is your chance to use your knowledge and experience to develop, implement and maintain industrial hygiene programs, systems and procedures; as well as monitor and prevent hazards and diseases that may be found in the work area.
Investigating accidents, injuries, and complaints concerning hazards in the workplace and recommending improvements in processes, design, procedures and operating equipment to minimize hazards will also form part of your role.
Key Responsibilities (include but are not limited to)
• Complete risk assessments of potential occupational health hazards
• Develop and maintain an occupational hygiene profile for the project
• Establish and maintain the occupational hygiene record system for the project
• Establish necessary interfaces, resources and tools for occupational hygiene activities
• Develop, implement and provide oversight for the occupational hygiene program
• Develop and conduct employee training
• Coordinate with leaders on risk controls associated with occupational health risks
• Promote compliance with programs, regulations, permits, approvals and requirements
• Provide occupational hygiene training
• Communicate information about occupational health hazards
• Determine the OELs for the workplace
• provides regulatory interpretation and technical advice
• Seek technical guidance when OELs are unavailable
• Apply the OELs to occupational health hazards
• Conduct occupational exposure assessments to the defined schedule
• Maintain instruments and other equipment required for sampling and assessment
• Review contractor OHRA for work scopes and provide technical recommendation for managing work safely
• Train and assist junior ESH personnel in sampling and collection methodologies.
• Conduct and assist the project with sampling, monitoring, data interpretation and occupational health surveys to ensure compliance with established programs.
• Provide regulatory interpretation and technical advice; may provide guidance for a team of ES&H specialists and/or support personnel.
What We Offer
There are many reasons why choosing to join Bechtel is one of the best career decisions you will ever make. In addition to working with talented, dedicated people and having the opportunity to play an integral role in stimulating and rewarding local and international projects, Bechtel is committed to offering employees the benefits and resources to live healthy lives.
With a competitive salary package and annual discretionary performance bonus scheme in place, employee wellbeing is also at the centre of our business – promoted through private health cover and includes access to specialist medical advice (‘Best Doctors’) and a leading employee assistance program.