DATE: Monday, February 24, 2014
TIME: 4:15 – 5:15 pm ET (21:15 – 22:15 GMT)
The Gender Issues in Fragile Situations Community of Practice (GFCoP) invites you to join a Live Chat on World Bank Live. This Live Chat will explore women’s access to rights, resources, and voice in the extractive industries. Below are some of the questions for discussion:
• How can women benefit from the extractive industries?
• How can we reduce risks?
• How can we provide better resources and voice to women?
• What are some of the approaches that offer lessons and strategies for more equitable distribution and decision-making over extractive resources?
The following World Bank staff working on these issues will be available to respond to comments and questions:
• Waafas Ofosu-Amaah, Regional Coordinator Africa, World Bank Institute (WBI), and co-author of Negotiating with the PNG Mining Industry for Women’s Access to Resources and Voice: The Ok Tedi Mine Life Extension Negotiations for Mine Benefit Packages;
• Katherine Heller, Social Development Specialist, and Task Team Leader of the Women in Mining and Petroleum Program, Oil, Gas and Mining (SEGOM) Dept., World Bank;
• Adriana Maria Eftimie, Social Development Specialist, International Finance Corporation (IFC), and co-author of Gender Dimensions of the Extractive Industries: Mining for Equity;
• JenScott, Energy and Extractive Industry Specialist, SEGOM, and co-author of Extracting Lessons on Gender in the Oil and Gas Sector: A Survey and Analysis of the Gendered Impacts of Onshore Oil and Gas Production in Three Developing Countries.
How to participate?
• Prior to the event: go to World Bank Live and post a question or comment online.
• On the day of the event (Monday, February 24 at 4:15 pm): Chat online on World Bank Live.
We look forward to connecting with you online for this discussion!
JOIN THE LIVE CHAT at: http://live.worldbank.org/gender-and-extractives