Location: Kings Mountain, NC USA
Albemarle is looking for an experienced metallurgical engineer to join a multidisciplinary team in their efforts to execute multiple activities required to evaluate the feasibility of reopening a brownfield site for spodumene concentrate production.
The Site Metallurgical Engineer (Wet processing) will initially support the studies focused on flowsheet development for a new spodumene concentrator. This role is expected to transition during construction to support the commissioning of the plant, and once in operation, be responsible for the metallurgical performance of the product end of the plant, slurry conditioning, magnetic separation, flotation, thickening and filtering.
This role will also provide technical assistance to our operated and joint venture operations, support due diligence of potential growth targets and introduction of new technologies across Albemarle’s global lithium business.
This position is part of the lithium resources organization reporting to the Group Metallurgist. The position is based in our Kings Mountain, North Carolina location. Periodic travel within the USA and internationally may be required.
- Oversee metallurgical test work for flowsheet definition and equipment selection.
- Support ore characterization and build an understanding of its potential impact on plant design and performance.
- Lead spodumene concentrate characterization and build an understanding of the potential impact on downstream processes.
- Evaluate potential for by-products to be generated on site from mid process streams.
- Help build the foundation for the process performance monitoring strategy to be set up at the new concentrator.
- Support development and implementation of metallurgical accounting for the site, including sampling strategy and flows characterization.
- Leads procedures development for the commissioning of a new Spodumene concentrator with emphasis on the grinding, flotation, desliming, thickening and filtering.
- Assist in the evaluation of capital projects and technology introduction across the organization when required
- Maintain liaison with the different groups involved in the new site project
- Experience in grinding, classification, magnetic separation, desliming, flotation, coarse particle flotation, thickening and filtering.
- Solid knowledge of mineralogy, ore characterization, and geometallurgy
- Experience with metallurgical testing, flowsheet development, equipment selection and sizing
- Experience in the safety management of processing plants and associated facilities
- Strong business, project and technical metallurgical and processing acumen
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills
- Supervisory experience preferred
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum B.S. or Engineering degree in Chemical, Metallurgical or related field
- 10+ years of metallurgical and or operations experience
- Experience with mine processing operations, studies, and development projects
- Experience evaluating and implementing new processing technologies would be beneficial
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with and understanding of industry compliant reporting requirements
Preferred Education and Experience
- International operational experience in Australia, Chile or North America highly regarded
- Advanced degree in engineering, science, business, or related field
- Experience as a Competent Person (CP) or Qualified Person (QP) under industry reporting codes highly regarded
Click to apply: https://bit.ly/3bv0fSE